If you are reading this blog, chances are, you know that I (Patrick) love to eat. I have been blessed with a great metabolism (thanks parents) and an affinity for running, so I can generally eat most things without feeling too guilty.
As a red-blooded Kansan, I love pie- apple, mulberry (my mom's best), cherry, pumpkin, pecan and so forth. Yes, I have had the occasional pot pie, or shepherd's pie, but in my mind, the word pie ='s dessert. Not anymore, meat pies have entered my world.
For those not familiar with meat pies- Meat pies are about 4-6 inches across with a flaky, buttery crust when done correctly. They are filled with any number of fillings- a few that I have tried (Bacon & Egg, Bacon, Egg & Cheese, Mince (Ground Beef) and Potato, Mince and Cheese, Peppered Steak, Curried Chicken, Butter Chicken, Chicken Apricot). Ones that I have not yet tried but want to include Venison and Seafood.
Usually these pies are a nice mid-morning snack and cost around $2 U.S. However, one place in Wanganui sells them for $3.50 U.S. and they are an entire meal. I kid you not, the pie weighed more than a quarter pounder. So buttery, so flaky, so salty, so sweet, it was like a kaleidoscope of flavors. You can eat them on the go, you can eat them sitting down, you can eat them virtually any time of day- although you will not get as many choices because certain flavors sell out fast in the morning.
Both Cash and Grant are pie converts- when they visited we adjusted travel plans around scheduling a pie in.
If the legal market continues to tank I might open a pie shop instead of being a lawyer. American needs meat pies! If meat pies are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Mmmmm....sounds like cornish pasty. I love those! Make sure to get a good recipe, as I don't imagine they travel THAT well.
ReplyDelete