The first photo is Panikiri Bluff that you hike to the top of where there is a hut that I stayed at. It looks down on the entire lake and there was a wonderful sunset. Since rain was not in the forecast, I thought that I would sleep out on the porch. Some high school kids thought that was a great idea too and of course stayed up talking until 11:30 after the sun went down at 9:00. It didn't' make me miss teaching. There were some nice people at the hut from all over NZ and one guy thought that I was Jerry Seinfeld. He laughed so hard when I told him "Happy wife, happy life," I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't invent that saying. I have no idea how he had never heard of it.
Pura Vida (Wikipedia Definition, paraphrased)...Pura Vida, literally translated means "Pure Life" but means contextually something approximate to "Full of Life", "Purified life", "This is living!" It can be used as a greeting, as a word of farewell, to express satisfaction...Costa Ricans use the phrase to express something akin to a philosophy of...enjoying life slowly and celebrating good fortune of magnitudes small and large alike.
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Lake Waikaremoana
Molly had to work all weekend- so again, I went tramping (backpacking in NZ). It was a quick 3 day trip to one of NZ's Seven Great Walks. It is steeped in Maori tradition and so everything is extra-hard to pronounce including the name of the lake. I took a boat to the trailhead and they dropped me off about 2.5 hours from this awesome, massive 40-bunk hut in a beautiful bay of the lake. The weather was perfect nearly the entire time with temps in the 70s, very little wind (rare for NZ this time of year), and no rain. No rain in a place that averages 8-9 feet per year! 
The first photo is Panikiri Bluff that you hike to the top of where there is a hut that I stayed at. It looks down on the entire lake and there was a wonderful sunset. Since rain was not in the forecast, I thought that I would sleep out on the porch. Some high school kids thought that was a great idea too and of course stayed up talking until 11:30 after the sun went down at 9:00. It didn't' make me miss teaching. There were some nice people at the hut from all over NZ and one guy thought that I was Jerry Seinfeld. He laughed so hard when I told him "Happy wife, happy life," I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't invent that saying. I have no idea how he had never heard of it.
The first photo is Panikiri Bluff that you hike to the top of where there is a hut that I stayed at. It looks down on the entire lake and there was a wonderful sunset. Since rain was not in the forecast, I thought that I would sleep out on the porch. Some high school kids thought that was a great idea too and of course stayed up talking until 11:30 after the sun went down at 9:00. It didn't' make me miss teaching. There were some nice people at the hut from all over NZ and one guy thought that I was Jerry Seinfeld. He laughed so hard when I told him "Happy wife, happy life," I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't invent that saying. I have no idea how he had never heard of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Patrick, I would just cut that foot off and have Molly bring you home a new one from the hospital.
ReplyDelete