I have taken to baking bread lately. This is my latest efforts- two loaves of sour dough. Bread is not as hard as I thought but still the learning curve is steep and I hope to get better with every loaf.
The service this morning was led by a WWII chaplain. He still appeared to be in good health and had some touching remarks. There was a speech by the mayor and some speeches by two local students, one of which was nice poem. There was a plane that flew overhead and a three-gun volley as well as the New Zealand anthem. Various representatives from different organizations laid wreaths down and it was a very respectful service attended by several thousand all willing to get up at 5:00 AM to sacrifice in just a small way to show respect for those who served and died. For me personally, it was a good time to think of those soldiers risking everything in Afghanistan and Iraq and how little the average person understands of the sacrifices made for our freedom.

No comments:
Post a Comment