Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Colfax Half Marathon

This past weekend I ran my first half marathon!! Woooo!! It was the Colfax Half, here in Denver. It went East from City Park down Colfax, past some very interesting cultural sites of Denver, like the Bluebird Theater, an old coffeeshop, several "Dancing Girls" bars and no less than 4 Ethiopian Restaurants and 6 tattoo parlors! Very exciting indeed ... After 8 miles or so you ran through this fire station -- it was very inspirational to high-five a bunch of firefighters after such a long haul. (Love you, Patrick!)

Triumphantly still running after the fire station. Patrick was my coach/cheerleader -- he brought a bike and zig-zagged along the course, taking my layers, giving me updates on upcoming landmarks, and offering high fives of his own. (Much cuter than the firefighters, of course!) It was a strange role-reversal since I am usually cheering him on -- he was a GREAT spectator!




Mom and Papa came from Manhattan to cheer me on, too! They are real troopers -- they came all the way from Manhattan to get up at 6 am and drive down to Colfax, of all places, to watch me run!




Still upright nearing the finish. Glad you can't see my face on this one. I had a pretty good runner's high the first 10 miles, then you get back to the park around mile 11, and still have to do 2 more miles after you are back at the park! A bit of a fake-out, because when you see the park you think you're done. I was sucking wind the last mile and half, but then got inspired to pass that girl in the pink behind me! :)








Obligatory race picture, with my medal ... I think anyone who does a half definitely deserves a medal! I met both of my goals: 1.) Don't walk. and 2.) Don't finish last.




















No comments:

Post a Comment