I have not blogged for quite a while (this is Patrick, sorry), but I felt it imperative to share with our readers one of the stranger sides of New Zealand men's fashion: the bad haircut, most notably the mullet and the rat tail. I am not sure where along the line in New Zealand history men became fans of a little bit extra in the back, but they certainly did. No one thinks twice about a mullet, or a rat tail on a kid. What you and I might think of as a haircut so bad it may result in child abuse in some places, they wouldn't think twice about sending their son to school with such hair.I am not saying that the Prime Minister or other notable professionals have them, but the average working man on the street is very likely to have some kind of hair hanging down, probably to his shoulders. Nonetheless, they are a practical, hardworking lot, and don't have much time for fancy hair or fashion so they almost invariably do not have long hair all the way around, only in the very back. Business in the front, party in the back.
Even though we long ago realized that there were some wonderful photo opportunities of mullets, we had a hard time discreetly taking a picture of them without also revealing the identity of the owner. These two photos are the best we have. Both were taken on the South Island but that in no way means that the North Island doesn't also have its share of wonderful Kentucky waterfalls. Billy Ray Cyrus- eat your heart out!

No comments:
Post a Comment