We've planted our third round of lettuce. Patrick covers it with these screens so that the birds don't eat my buttercrunch. They are not interested in arugula (rocket, for you kiwis), strangely. It's so good!! You can also see that the yellow squash/zucchini/spaghetti squash section has nearly taken over the shed. The cumulative effect of the out of control squashes and window screens is that our garden looks a little...dare I say, trashy? ...But it's worth it!! (Note, if you are in Denver and you want a spaghetti squash, CALL ME!)
Pura Vida (Wikipedia Definition, paraphrased)...Pura Vida, literally translated means "Pure Life" but means contextually something approximate to "Full of Life", "Purified life", "This is living!" It can be used as a greeting, as a word of farewell, to express satisfaction...Costa Ricans use the phrase to express something akin to a philosophy of...enjoying life slowly and celebrating good fortune of magnitudes small and large alike.
Friday, August 12, 2011
What Else We've Been Growing This Summer...
Besides Tiny Thiessen, we've also been growing a lot of tasty things in our garden. Thanks to Patrick's daily attention and care, we've had some great produce. We lost all of our tomatoes one year to hail, and it was pretty sad. We live for home grown summer tomatoes. So this summer Patrick has been on alert, and whenever it hails, he runs outside in the hail and puts this plywood over our tomatoes: (It's hilarious to watch! But I am glad to be eating tomatoes!!)
Here are some of our beloved tomatoes. We have some yellow tomatoes, cherries, plums, roma, and a really nice brandywine.
We've planted our third round of lettuce. Patrick covers it with these screens so that the birds don't eat my buttercrunch. They are not interested in arugula (rocket, for you kiwis), strangely. It's so good!! You can also see that the yellow squash/zucchini/spaghetti squash section has nearly taken over the shed. The cumulative effect of the out of control squashes and window screens is that our garden looks a little...dare I say, trashy? ...But it's worth it!! (Note, if you are in Denver and you want a spaghetti squash, CALL ME!)
The first brandywine we harvested weighed 14 ounces!! We ate the whole thing one night for dinner, sliced up with salt and pepper. Delicious.
This was a stir fry we made -- all with veggies from our own garden: carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli, green onions and zucchini. Pretty amazing! My shopping list is so much shorter because I don't have to buy veggies. Now we are going through the 101 ways to cook zucchini in my recipe box. So far our favorites are just grilled, and a zucchini casserole from the Bethel Mennonite Church Cookbook that Grandma Schierling gave us. I'll post it for you soon -- right now I am not keen to get off of the couch and go get it. Tiny Thiessen and I worked all night last night and we are pooped!!
We've planted our third round of lettuce. Patrick covers it with these screens so that the birds don't eat my buttercrunch. They are not interested in arugula (rocket, for you kiwis), strangely. It's so good!! You can also see that the yellow squash/zucchini/spaghetti squash section has nearly taken over the shed. The cumulative effect of the out of control squashes and window screens is that our garden looks a little...dare I say, trashy? ...But it's worth it!! (Note, if you are in Denver and you want a spaghetti squash, CALL ME!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yay for gardens! Aren't Brandywine tomatoes divine? I thought earlier this summer I was going to lose all my tomatoes due to a bad wind storm. I nearly cried. Silly or dramatic, I'm not sure but I do know there is nothing like produce you have grown.
ReplyDeleteI'd also like to know how to make a garden that doesn't end up looking a little trashy in the end. I guess if you're Martha Stewart and have an army of gardeners?