Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Conundrum...

Here is Ben sucking on his thumb.  On this occasion, he did it 5 times in a row.  He has yet to claim it as a regular activity, and I can't decide how I feel about it.  I've tried to introduce him to the pacifier as we introduced the bottle, but he's not terribly interested in that, either.  Question:  Better to use your thumb, a pacifier or nothing?


Thoughts on the thumb:  It's always there, it can't fall out of the crib so you don't have to go get it for him at 2 am, and you can't leave it at home/forget it somewhere ... But then again you can't "accidentally" forget it somewhere when he is 3.  I sucked my thumb until I was 7 (!!!), and I turned out OK.

Thoughts on the pacifier:  It does fall out, so you might have to go get it at 2 am and plug it back in, and when he is 3, you can "accidentally" forget it somewhere, or have the "Binkie Fairy" come and take it for the little babies who need them (thanks, Katie Dugan). And you don't get a chronic welt at the base of your thumb sucking on a binkie.  Patrick used a pacifier, and he turned out OK.  

As of now, he doesn't really favor either...I'll be interested to see as his hand control improves if he becomes a thumb sucker.  When he needs to self sooth he sucks on his knuckles.  

3 comments:

  1. I say don't sweat it too much. Lindy likes the binky, but only before she falls asleep. Owen sucked on his hand for a while, but doesn't do it anymore. Babies figure out what they like, and nothing will ruin them as long as they're loved and fed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can try to steer them any direction you want...in the end they will do whatever they want. My motto was, "JUST SUCK SOMETHING!" It soothed our babies. Madison liked the pacifier and Natalie sucks the first two fingers on her left hand. Sara is right on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna was a binky LOVER, but gave it up easily at 3. Katie's a thumb lover. Thumbs are cuter, I think. Mostly, we have no control over that-baby autonomy!

    ReplyDelete