Pura Vida (Wikipedia Definition, paraphrased)...Pura Vida, literally translated means "Pure Life" but means contextually something approximate to "Full of Life", "Purified life", "This is living!" It can be used as a greeting, as a word of farewell, to express satisfaction...Costa Ricans use the phrase to express something akin to a philosophy of...enjoying life slowly and celebrating good fortune of magnitudes small and large alike.
Monday, September 21, 2009
The Language Barrier
No problems...we all speak English, right? There is a CT tech at work named "Kah-Lee." (Kah-rhymes with "paw" and Lee like Lee.) The first few times I called, I said, "I want to say your name right -- Is it 'Kah-Lee' like 'Carly' or like 'Cally'?" (In my American accent.) Kah-Lee replies, "Oh, yea, it's like 'KAAAAHHH-LEEEEEE'." Oh. So I still call her "Kah-Lee." I have no idea if I'm saying "Carly" or "Cally" but it sounds just like what she calls herself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow. So you're probably affecting an accent, but there's no way to know. Sounds like time for a wacky elaborate scheme involving a surprise party, all just so you can get her to sign a card, so you can read her name.
ReplyDeleteMust think of a good sitcom name...