Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 14, 2009

A strange introduction to Kiwi hiking

So I decided to do a local hike, the Atene Skywalk. This hike is about 45 minutes from our doorstep "up river." That is the local reference to the Whanganui River. Yes, while our town is called Wanganui, the river is the Whanganui. This difference appears to be the result of white settlers dropping the "h," and has even recently caused a stir with a call to add the mysterious "h" to the town's spelling. To no avail, the mayor is vehemently opposed and seems to hold a lot of power.




The hike was measured in time (8 hours) rather than kilometers and for good reason, it was incredibly steep. At times it was a set of wooden steps straight up. I managed to finish it in 3 hours and fifteen minutes after running for the first hour. After that, the wind picked up and the skies turned ominous and I imagined turning and ankle and having to spend the night up on the rather remote hike. I didn't see another soul and the only life I saw was an old wild billy goat who ran when I approached him with a whistle and a club in my hand (for protection).






All in all, it was a good introduction to New Zealand hiking, although it reminded me of no other hiking I had ever done.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing you stopped running!
    "Remains of Reckless American Found Up River; Eaten by Goat"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, no that is not how I want to end up.

    ReplyDelete